Thomas Telford, widely regarded as one of the greatest civil engineers of all time, was appointed Surveyor of Public Works for the County of Salop (Shropshire) in 1787. The Ironbridge Gorge is located within the boundary of the new town of Telford, named in his honour. He worked on roads, bridges, canals, churches and numerous other buildings within the county, but is particularly associated with the Holyhead Road, which was improved after the Act of Union of 1801 to allow Irish MPs to make easier journeys to the House of Commons in London. The tollhouse formerly located on the Holyhead Road at Shelton, just north of Shrewsbury, was due to be demolished for road widening in the early 1970s. Instead, it was dismantled and re-erected, together with a typical Holyhead Road tollgate and milestone, at Blists Hill Victorian Town.