Hetton Colliery, Durham

Next » « Previous

Hetton colliery (in the background on the far right) was connected to the River Wear at Sunderland (in the background on the far left) by a railway engineered by George Stephenson between 1819 and 1822. As this lithograph shows, it had inclined planes in its central section, but significantly, five locomotives were built specifically to work the remainder of the route.

Back to Elton